If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Steamed Crabs with Glutinous rice 糯米蟹飯


The other day my sister called me up asking me whether i want 3 kg of fresh crabs, i immediately said sure i want because i don't know where to get fresh crabs from my area. Even the big pasar (wet market) nearby my place, i have never seen peoples selling fresh crabs..
I use half of the crabs cooked with rice vermicilli and canned pork ribs, it was yummy, my mother and sisters enjoyed so much. As for the balance half, i steamed it with glutinious rice for dinner. So total 3kg crabs finished in the same day..Once i have finished cooked dinner, sky already turned dark, so this time i simply took few pictures, no table setting and no beautiful pictures ..


IMG_2884

Crab shell with roe
IMG_2821

I prepared two types- one type is steamed crabs on top of cooked glutinous rice
IMG_2827

Another type, stuffed rice into crab shells

IMG_2829

Enjoy cooked rice with crab roe, simply good!
IMG_2837

 The taste of freshness from crabs is absorbed into the rice, yum! advise to enjoy them while hot!
IMG_2862

Since i was rushing, below recipe just an estimation, you need to adjust accordingly. Next time, i will add little dark caramel sauce into rice as i feel darker rice look more appetize, hehehe..

Steamed Crabs with Glutinous rice 糯米蟹飯
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

Savoury steamed glutinous rice
500g glutinous rice, wash and soak for 4hours but not more)
100g rice
5 shallots, peeled & sliced thinly
2 garlics, chopped
40g dried prawns, wash & soaked
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and cut into cubed
300ml water or more

Seasoning
IMG_2855 copy dark soy sauce
light soy sauce
salt to taste
sugar to taste
pepper

Method
1. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the shallot and garlic till aroma.
2. Add in dried prawns and mushroom, stir fry for 1min.
3. Add in the drained glutinous rice, and add in the seasoning. Stirring and mix well for 1 -2 mins.
4. Transfer the rice into a steaming tray, sprinkle water on top of the rice.
5. Steam for 45-60mins ( stir rice for every 20mins, sprinkle some water when necessary).

Steamed crabs with glutinous rice
Cooked glutinous rice
Ginger slices
Spring onion
Chinese wine

Fresh crabs, clean, cut and pat dry

Method
1. Arrange crabs on top of cooked glutinous rice, sprinkle wine over crabs, Or stuffed cooked glutinous rice into crab shells.
2. Arrange ginger slices and spring onion on top of crabs.
3. Steam for 10mins and serve hot.

56 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks so yum...will try this recipe for sure :-) ...thanks for sharing

Sue

Mel said...

It doesnt matter no table setting to snap these delicious looking crabs with glutinous rice.... my eyes focus on these crabs and who cares for other backdrops! Drooling....as I loves to eat crabs.... Sedap, pandai you masak!

Bakericious said...

Sonia, this is my favourite dish, so long never eat liao, you are tempting me now, yum yum!

Ana Regalado said...

3 kilos ! Throw some of those over here ! lol I swear I can smell your scrumptious crabs in this side of the world ! :D

Unknown said...

很赞叻!
我被你害惨了,看得我肚子猛敲鼓。。哈哈哈!
谢谢你的分享,有时间我也要弄给孩子们吃。

Yannie said...

Oh Boy! This looks fantastically yummy. I can't resist glutinous rice and crabs like this.

Sokehah cheah said...

Wow, that's a sumptous dinner, Sonia.Lovely, yummy crabs!

Elin said...

Wow...I am drooling now :)) That is great dinner !

Little blue said...

I sure this crab is yummy and delicious....i cannot tahan to see this....can share me 1 crab??!! hehe...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

so tempting... Cannot tahan liao... Drooling liao... keke...

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Hi Sonia~~
aiyoyo~~ its so yummy~~
itchy.... wanna visit u...
haha!!!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Hehe... i just had it last month, yummy!

mui mui said...

Sonia,
No nice pictures but got nice yummy crabs. That is more than enough. After the stuffed crabs I cooked for MMF I have been looking forward for another crab dish.
Your glutinous crabs both style sounds great. Must cook this one day:)
mui..^^

yvonne said...

An awesome dish! I love glutinous rice and crab, both! First time hearing about their combo and I think it would be very very mouth-watering!

Casey said...

糯米版的蟹饭我没吃过,不过单看卖相,就知道是多么的好吃了!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

这真的是个好料,看了都想吃了。。

Smiley said...

我在流口水了!!!豐富美味!!

Sem said...

I havent try this crab with glutinous rice before,only know crab cooked with "tung Fen" or mee hoon,and claypot rice.
Really admire your cooking skills.Can start a cooking class anytime:)

珊珊 said...

好棒的一道菜+飯。。。。肯定弄得大家流口水。。。
人人都愛吃吧!!!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

still 住家饭 is the best, the crab looks so yummy

Li Shuan said...

I'm a crab lover, I wish I were there to spend a day at ur place so that I can enjoy the bee hoon and rice with crab all day long.haha.... Just delish!

Stephanie said...

yummy! yummy! too bad I can't find fresh crab here too :( also hard to find crab. Yours look so good!
Are they still live when you got them? May I know how you 'kill' them?

PH said...

Aiyoh! Craving for crabs liao! Must buy soon but aiyah, lazy to peel when eating. hee..hee...

Chef and Sommelier said...

Wow Sonia, this sure looks so yummy and rich. I like crab roe.. Mmmmmm.

Ren said...

Hi Sonia
Can please me how to cook crab with Bee Hoon.

Thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ren, I have no time to record down recipe, next time if I can get fresh crabs again , I will share the recipe ..

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Stephanie , yes, the crabs still lively. How to cut them ? You have to wait until I got crabs again then only can share with you, hehehe ..

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen said...

I love crabs and to pair it with glutinous rice is a great idea! I must try this recipe. I found your site through Nami. I'm bookmarking it now. I love everything here. I've been to Penang, Malaysia for a wedding and really enjoyed our stay for a few days. Your food, culture and country is amazing. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Orchidea said...

Hi, these two dishes look delicious! I love crab and I ate a lot of these when living in S'pore... also tried a lot of Malaysian food there, realy nice.
Ciao.

vivi@N said...

so yummy~~~

TQVM for sharing.

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, you are a real sifu!! I have never handle crab before! (scared...) can I meet you for a 'crab meal' when I'm back? haha!!

Unknown said...

New to me and looks so yummy!!

Baby Sumo said...

Wow looks nice. :)

busygran said...

Interesting and delicious way of serving crabs! I like the idea!

Shu Han said...

what a good idea to steam glutinous rice with crabs, definitely infuses that delicious seafood flavour while it's steaming. and so creative too, because usually the flavours that we see pple use are chicken (lo mai kai)! yummmmm.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Got canned pork ribs one ah? Never heard of it b4! This dish doesn't need any table setting also looks good! I preferred how you stuffed the rice into the shells!

divya said...

absolutely irresistible...

Diane said...

Mmmmm can I pop over for a share please :-) Keep well Diane

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I went to a Taiwanese wedding and this dish was served. OMG I enjoyed it so much, and I forgot that I am allergic to crab (I became so after mid 20s). Luckily nothing happened and I'm glad I ate quite a bit. I hope to eat this again... so delicious!

Veronica said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! Your crab dish looked totally awesome. I am sure everyone must be licking their fingers long after the crabs disappeared....

tigerfish said...

The roe is the best part! Makes everything else taste so good :)

daphne said...

YUM! this looks like a grand seafood feast at home. I love how you steamed it and kept the flavour of the crab. I also like pairing it with glutionous rice and also the canned pork (i missed that!)

eileen, hundred eughty degrees said...

My family's favourite: ) fresh crabs is readily available here, but I don't know how to handle. My former domestic helper used to help me with that. So usually we will eat out if we crave for crabs :) yours look so pro.

ICook4Fun said...

What a lovely dish. Never eaten crab cook this way before. I miss having can pork stew. We can't get it here at all :(

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Oh so yummy... I have never thought of steaming crabs with glutinous rice. That is a new idea and looks delicious.

zila norazila said...

drolling,i suka crab..nampak sedap bila dimasak macamne kan..good idea.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wow! First time seeing the crab cooked with gultinous rice! The rice must be very sweet from the crab juice! Yummy! Perfect dinner indeed...Ai ya, no need beautiful table setting, all eyes on the crabs only lol!

ann low said...

WOW!! Look sooo yummy!! I love crab too but don't eat it very often due to high cholesterol.

lena said...

wow! i can imagine how tasty this is..this is a great dish you're presenting, sonia!

Small Kucing said...

you have me drooling liao....sobs.....

Hidayah Mohamad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

These two ways of cooking the crabs with glutinous rice are so clever!! Your two super delicious meals cooked all in one pan, all the flavour complemented each other so well!!

Unknown said...

im a sucker for crabsssss......yummmm....

Lori said...

I wish so much we could get crab like this here! It looks amazing. It's always on the top of our list when we travel.

chow and chatter said...

wow these look divine bet they didn't last long one of my fav things about going to the coast is getting fresh crabs

hana said...

OMG! tetiba saya teringat kani crab masa duk jepun dulu... sedapnyer laaaa kalau buat macam nih....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin