If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Japanese rice burger 日本米饭汉堡


We have never try a rice burger before, until recently we tried a nice rice burger at the Asahiyama Zoo Hokkaido. It was quite a late lunch, we bought some hotdog and ice-cream from a small shop located inside the zoo. My son Desmond didn't want the hotdog, so he ordered a rice burger. After he tasted, he told me the rice burger was very nice. Even we all had finished the hotdog, we still rushed to buy few rice burger to try out, and agreed it was yummy !


jrb4 copy


jrb5 copy

 
I even carry back home 2kg of rice from Hokkaido just wanted to make this rice burger ^_^
jrb8

 
Also made dashi stock from the scratch ..kombu bought from Hokkaido and bonito flakes from local.
jrb9

 
This time I adapted the dashi stock recipe from Nami Just One Cookbook
I packed the leftover dashi stock in a plastic bag and store in the freezer for future use

jrb6

 
From what I tasted, the filling for this rice burger was similar to Gyudon (Japanese beef rice bowl)
jrb15.jpg

 
This was how I prepared the rice patties, but I find the rice would fall apart while I enjoying this burger, not sure how the shop made the rice patties so firm and nice..
jrb


jrb2 copy


Japanese rice burger 日本米饭汉堡
 (recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

For the rice patties
2 cups Japanese short grain rice, washed twice and clean.
jrb1 copy 3 1/2cups water

Method-mix rice and water in an electric rice cooker, cook as per normal

For the Gyudon filling (reference made to cookbook: Japanese cooking recipes)

200g Sukiyaki beef slices
3/4pc yellow onion, sliced
½” ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, grated

100ml dashi stock
1tbsp Japanese light soy sauce
1tbsp dark soy sauce
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar
1/2tbsp mirin
1tbsp sake
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp Kombucha, optional

Method

  1. Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat, sauté ginger and garlic, then add in beef slices and stir till colour changed.
  2. Add in onion slices, then stock and all seasonings, cook until sauce thicken.

To serve Rice burger-to make rice patties, use a round metal ring, put in cooked rice and press till firmly or you can use plastic wrap. Then use a brush, dip it with the beef sauce, and brush one side of rice patties. You can grill the rice patties on a non-stick pan, or just serve it plain. Assemble like a burger, top two rice patties with gyudon filling, nice to serve while hot. You can re-heat in the microwave oven before serve.

I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #1 Oct 2013 : Japan , hosted by Alan from travelling-foodies

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nasi Lemak Lover

I enjoy visiting your blog. Your spread is so beautiful and your cooking/baking is so reliable that each time, I cook any recipe from you, family members and friends enjoyed it so much and received lots of praise. Many thanks.

You might want to visit here for the rice burger:
http://www.feasttotheworld.com/2012/02/rice-of-two-halves-or-maybe-not.html

Cheers
Florence

Tracy Low said...

吃了May家电日本料理现在转地方吃你家的。哈哈哈~

Mel said...

Aah..... I have tried this Japanese rice burger before in Spore; the Mos Burger. Indeed it was very yummy. I don't think Msia/KL has Mos Burger. You can check out their website mosburger.com.sg just to give you some inspiration next time. oh my...you bought rice and carry home all the way back to KL? Thumbs up to you. Well, if I have the whole family going for hol together I can buy anything to carry out without having to worry of overweight of luggage, right?

Esther Lau said...

Very lovely rice burger! Another good recipe to try :)

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你真的是太厉害了啦
什么料理都难不倒你:)

Cat Chee said...

好想吃哦…

Victoria bakes said...

En! I love this! Reminds me of MxS burger!

cikmanggis said...

I must try this recipe Sonia.satu kelainan.Kebetulan I have a small bag of Japanese rice in my kitchen.Nampak sedap :)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

There's a fast food chain selling this, but i never try before, normally eat burger, hehe...

Unknown said...

你很厉害叻!这个你也会做,有机会也可以试一试不过现在你先请我吃,嘻嘻嘻~

Alice said...

I love rice burger, but I never try the original version in Japan
MOS burger is the only place I usually go to for this dish :)
Yours look yum, and oh, I just bought the same wax paper! :P

Imo Teo said...

Sonia,你真的太厉害了,连这个都会哦,呵呵
我在泰国的7-11吃到的米汉堡也很好吃,现在都在想念了

Siew Hwei said...

Tempting... :P

Small Kucing said...

I have never had one before. Hmm...tempting

Little blue said...

yum yum...i like this type of burger not too rich.

Anonymous said...

hi sonia..thanks for sharing this yummy rice burger recipe..we did have Mos Burger in KLCC many years ago but sad to say they have closed shop..recently i had Mos Burger at Siam Paragon in Bangkok...

Sue

PH said...

Sonia, this is new to me. I feel like I want to try it too :)

Baby Sumo said...

I tried Korean rice burgers before, but not Japanese ones. Looks good - wanna try one day!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Had a chat with li shuan today & she said she saw a blue tray from your post, where huh? I never have rice burger b4, good to learn how you shape them with egg ring.

Sissi said...

What a beauty! I have already heard about rice burger, but have completely forgotten. I must try making it at home one day.

Unknown said...

I shall make rice burgers instead of sushi the next time as this looks so good.

Anonymous said...

I was also thinking of making this and packing it for lunch in a bento box. To prevent the rice from falling apart, I read in a cookbook that you have to fry the rice patty until it's firm and crispy before you brush the sauce on.

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, u hv to pan fried the rice after u compressed it to shape. Sumtimes I use my air fryer to do so.

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , throw me a packet of that kelp ! I've been meaning to make dashi stock but haven't bought kelp yet ugh ! I'm getting hungry looking at your rice burger - yummmmm !

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My wife loved to eat this rice burger at a Japanese fast food joint in Suria KLCC (Kuala Lumpur Petronas Twin Towers) in the mid-1990s. They operated for just a couple of years and then closed due to poor sales ..perhaps.

I am plannig to cook one for her soon...to surprise her....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin